Friday, November 2, 2018

Writers Should Use Public Domain Photos and Art Works

Sunday in the Park by George Seurat 1884


We have such a treasure trove of materials on the internet. We feel like we can copy and save or copy and paste just about anything we find. The thinking is If it's on the internet, I can use it for free. The thought and reality are not always in sync. 

There are things we can use for free but many are copyrighted and not for just anyone to use whenever or however they want to. 

I use a poster or photo of some kind on nearly all my posts, as do many other bloggers or newsletter writers. Early on, I wasn't so careful about checking if what I so blithely used was available for me to do so or not. I watch it more closely now. The chances of getting sued are pretty slim but it is also a possibility. 

There are places where a writer can find photos, posters and clip art that are 'free to use' and these are the ones I gravitate to now. 

This morning, I ran across an article on facebook (yes, there are real articles, not just chit-chat, on facebook) that featured The Art Institute of Chicago. The article announced that the museum was allowing myriad numbers of their collection to be downloaded and used for free. A link to their website showed more detailed information.  You can read the original article here.

The painting I selected to feature is one that is dear to my heart. When I was in grade school, an annual field trip from 5th through 8th grade was made to The Art Institute. We went on a bus down to the lakefront museum. Two impressive stone lions graced each side of the stairway to the entrance. It seemed to me that they were guarding the treasures within. Once inside, we were met by a guide and taken to view whatever he/she had selected. I remember standing for a very long time in front of  Sunday in the Park while the guide pointed out many things about the painting. Thus began my art appreciation education. To this day, that painting is special to me. Today, I am thinking that it would be perfect for an ekphrastic poem.

Other places I've found to have a large number of free for public use photos are below. Click on each to explore.
There are many others, of course. A google search will bring you more than you can possibly explore. I use Pexels and Pixabay regularly. I will definitely add the Art Institute's website to places I can search for photos and art work. 

A pretty tell-it-like-it-is article about how to determine if a photo you want to use is copyrighted can be read here. There are so many photos that can be considered public domain, or free-to-use, that it seems simpler to use those than go through all the steps listed in this article.

You can also ask permission if you can contact the owner. That's fairly easy to do with the many nice posters on facebook. Just go to their home page and there us usually a contact place, or you can post your request on the page. 

2 comments:

  1. Very informative, Nancy. Thank you. And you picked my favorite painting to illustrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased that you also like this painting.

      Delete

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...