Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Writers--Consider A Sense of Place




When we write fiction or memoir, a sense of place holds a significant spot. Many How-To books on writing offer special exercises on this important part of a story or a memoir, or even an essay. I have posted two photos today that are totally different places. Anyone writing about either one would have plenty to work with.

At one of my online conferences, one of the workshop presenters spoke for nearly an hour on a sense of place and then she had us do a ten-minute exercise highlighting same. She was the editor of a travel website and who would put a priority on a sense of place more than someone in her position? Her presentation and exercise left an impression on me. 

I recently subbed a memory piece to my online writing group. When the critiques came back, I noticed one glaring thing. A sense of place was there but not strong enough. Part of that error was that I knew the place so well that I transported myself there as I wrote but I didn't bring my reader into the place with me. They are not mind-readers so it's up to me, the writer, to give them a clear picture of where the story happened.

Some points about a sense of place:
  • It draws the reader into the story, takes them to another world than the one they are in.
  • It helps let readers know how characters feel about where they are. It's not only a description of where the story happens.
  • The writer should use specifics to give a sense of place. Don't just say there were animals. Name them. Let the reader see the elephants, the zebras and giraffes in the game reserve. 
  • Dialogue specific to the place helps give that sense of place. Consider the Scottish brogue or the idioms used by the mountain folk in Virginia. 
My husband and I visited Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia several years ago. The place is so picturesque and has a sad history, as well. I was so taken with it that I wrote a personal essay about our visit. The good part about writing the essay is that it gave me something to also use in a fiction piece. If I had a character who visited Peggy's Cove, I know that I could give my readers a real sense of place. You can read the essay here.

When you write a short story or a novel, what happens and to who is important but where it takes place ranks high on the must-include list. Give some thought to a sense of place when you write. 


2 comments:

  1. Nancy, thanks for your blog on sense of place. When you shared about how you can know a place so well that it's easy to forget to bring others along with you, it reminded me of the importance of having a first reader. Sounds like your online group is sometimes your first reader. Thanks again for sharing your tips. Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy if I've been of some help to others. Thanks for the comment, Jim.

      Delete

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...