Monday, October 15, 2018

Writing Funny In Your Personal Essays






Kaye Curren

My Guest Blogger today is Kaye Curren who knows how to write a personal essay that will get a laugh from her readers. Writing humorous pieces is not as easy as some think. Kaye will give us a little insight into this field. Check out her website (address in Bio below)  and read a few of her personal essays. You'll come away smiling.



Writing Funny in Your Personal Essays


Humor adds life to a personal essay in two ways. Either you can create a laugh-out-loud scenario by taking an experience and making it silly, ridiculous, or just plain outrageous. Or you can also sprinkle humor throughout an otherwise serious essay. Either way, your readers will appreciate your efforts to lighten up their occasionally stressful days with some laughs, smiles, or chuckles.

Of course, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is humor in the individual funny bone. In writing humor, you don’t want to worry too much about pleasing everyone – that’s probably not going to happen. But you can come close by making your personal essay about happenings that many of us can relate to.

 I have found one of the best ways to learn to write humor in my essays is to read other people’s and study how they do it. I think I started young with the comics in the newspaper. Today, I have a list of favorite authors I return to again and again - Erma Bombeck, Dave Barry, Nora Ephron, and Bill Bryson to name a few. I think I’ve learned a lot by reading of their hilarious life adventures.

I have found if I ponder awhile on everyday happenings, I can't help seeing the funny side. Events like my child getting ready for school and finding bumps in her socks. Or retrieving a hamster from under the bathroom sink. Erma Bombeck was the queen of making everyday family occurrences laugh-out-loud funny. She taught me to see the humor in everyday events.
 In other cases, life just handed me a smorgasbord of funny incidents that I have been able to relate to my readers with some creative story-telling. For example, I had a crazy theatre experience when the leading lady missed her cue, and I was thrust onto the stage to fill the gap, dry mouth, panic and all. Another: my daughter’s wedding in Spain which handed me ready-made scenarios such as my future son-in-law flashing past me naked in a communal dressing room my daughter had arranged. As Dave Barry tells us, you can’t make these things up.
How to write a funny essay? I think you first need a story. Stringing jokes together isn’t going to work for the personal essay. I find I’m best off constructing my story without thought of what’s humorous - unless of course, the humor is completely built in. I try to find my beginning, middle, and end, my rising action to climax and denouement to develop the story. I work on it until I like the flow of the basic story.
Next, I funny it up. I find ways to add laugh-inducing dialogue, and I look for funnier words than those I started with. (Did you know the “K” words are the funniest?) I look for twists of the usual. I try to introduce surprise, if possible. Then I look for the very best punchline for my ending, bringing my story to a satisfying, and hopefully humorous, conclusion.

To sum up, here are some tips from established humor writers on how they make their personal essays funny.*
·        Find the eccentricities and foibles in human experience.
·        Pay attention to the mundane.
·        Twist a cliché.
·        Use nutty metaphor sand similes.
·        Don’t tell the reader something is funny – show him.
·        Be specific-give details.
·        Exaggerate.
·        Find a way to incorporate surprise.

*Many thanks to Susan Shapiro, Paul Angone, and Richard Nordquist for these humor writing tips.

BIO:
Kaye Curren writes nonfiction articles, essays, and humor for various online blogs, magazines, and Chicken Soup for the Soul publications. Her first ebook, Memories A La Carte, Essays on a Life, is available on Amazon. Find her other musings at http://www.writethatthang.com.





3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kaye! I'm going to make it one of my goals, for serious me, to write something funny. When I was a deputy sheriff on a traffic stop--with my driver's side window down--a mean dog jumped into the patrol car! I wasn't laughing at the time but I've written about it humorously. I'm going to take your advice and read some funny authors. Thanks again, Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to try a new kind of writing now and then.

      Delete
  2. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. מבחן איי קיו אונליין

    ReplyDelete

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...