Thursday, October 4, 2018

Convention Time For Kansas Writers


At Online Writer's Group Conference


The photo above was taken at one of my Online Writer's Group Conference in a state park just outside Washington, DC. That's me in the center in the pink and white shirt. The 20+ women who attend these bi-annual conferences have a great time learning and socializing. 

This weekend, I'm going to another type of conference. This one is our Kansas Authors Club State Convention. I am Convention Chairman and have three others on the committee. It's not nearly as many people as we'd like but sometimes that's how things work out. We're a small district compared to those in the Lawrence, Topeka and Wichita areas. People who would like to help cannot because of health issues and other things, as well. 

Nevertheless, I think we have a great group of speakers lined up for our workshops. If you were able to come to Salina, KS this weekend, wouldn't you find several of these that you would like to attend so that you can learn more and make some connections with other writers? 

Here's the line-up of the workshops titles:
  • Researching and Writing Historical Nonfiction:  The Story of Susannah Alderdice
  • My Words--My Way  (fiction)
  • How To Do Biography
  • Journaling A Page or Two
  • Cultural appropriation:  Writing 'Socailly Acceptable' Content in YA Literature
  • Writing the Personal Essay
  • Using Imagery To Improve Your Poetry and Prose
  • How To Make Your Writing Come To Life
  • Memoir Writing
  • Panel Discussion on Songwriting
  • The Benefits and How-To of Blogging For Writers
The hard part is to choose which ones to attend as on Saturday three run concurrently. Everyone can attend the two on Sunday morning.

There will be a banquet on Saturday evening with Awards given for many categories and the state prose and poetry contest winners announced at the Sunday luncheon. 

I'd like to know what other parts of the writing world would you like to have as a workshop? What topics are important to you that are not covered in the speakers we have? 

2 comments:

  1. Hi...I love your blog posts. I’m a wanna-a-be memoir writer penninga series of essays centered on my mom and our relationship over the years. I also write other genres and do try and get them published. I’d like more visibility and exposure, I’ve been told, blogging might be the way to achieve it. How do I create a blog and what would your recommendation be as to the .com I should use. Any advice would be most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ricki--can I get back to you on this later? Leaving for the convention today so no extra time. Can you send your email address? I'll send you a handout I am using in a workshop I'm teaching this weekend. But sometime next week. Just send it to me via this comment spot and only I will see it. I won't publish it.

      Delete

Gourmet Touches--Titles and Quotes

  If you invite someone to dinner, you’re apt to add some special touches to the food and table décor. As a hostess, you try to make a dinne...