Monday, August 13, 2018

Friends In Your Writing World



Have you ever made a list of the friends in your writing life? I know one writer who loves lists. I have a feeling she has assembled her group of writer friends in just that way. 

In our technological world, we have opportunities to meet other writers online whom we have never met in person and possibly never will. I know writers in our country and several others whom I will never meet in the flesh but I consider them real friends. I met many through Facebook pages.

We meet other writers through critique groups we join, whether they are the face to face kind or an online gathering of writers who help one another. When you interact with other writers on a regular basis, you have a good base for forming friendships.

When you attend a state writing conference regularly, it's easy to become friends with those you see again and again. After all, they are there for the same reason you are--to learn more about this writing world. We have much in common and are drawn to one another for that reason. And maybe it's because we just plain like them as people. 

Does this mean that you like every writer you meet and consider all of them friends? Not necessarily. We gravitate to some people more than others in all walks of life, and our writing world is much the same. 

Take a few minutes and make a list, whether mentally, or in print,, of the friends in your writing world. You might be surprised at how many there are. 

I'm Convention Planning Chairman for my state authors organization. We're a small district in a large state so we are creating a convention with a very few people working on the planning. I have had a number of other members offer to assist in any way needed. Those are the friends who warm your heart. 

I am so grateful for the many friends in my writing world. If I have a question or need help, I know that lots of them will step up and answer my call. 

2 comments:

  1. You're sure right about writer friends. Writers make up one of my "tribes" where I feel extra-comfortable and at home--even if I've only met them through the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Maybe because we have that common bond of 'writing.'

      Delete

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...