Wednesday, August 1, 2018

A New Month, Two Questions, and a Wac-a-Thon

Image result for free poster Hello August



I love turning the page on my calendars to a new month. It is almost as good as turning to page 1 in a book, ready to read. Hello to August, the last month of very hot weather in Kansas where I live. September brings cooler mornings and some hot afternoons but August is all about hot.

The clean page on the calendar asks a silent question for those of us who write? What will you write this month? We have 31 days to write as much or as little as we want. Maybe this is the month we'll try our hand at something we've never done before. Or perhaps we'll finish a project started months ago. I could give myself a challenge and write a poem a day. That would be 31 poems in the Poetry file. Wow!

Actually, I am being challenged this month. My online writing group is trying a write-a-thon for anyone in the group willing to participate. The gist of it is that we must write something and submit it to the group every day this month. It can be as long or as short as we want it to be. Even one sentence counts. No one needs to critique any of these submissions but we can make comments.

The idea is to make sure we write something-anything--each day. 31 days should help establish the daily writing habit. We've even recruited a few people who have left the group. One hasn't written for 9 years but she's giving it a try again. Maybe this is the spark she needs to start writing her novels again.

Our 'write-a-thon' name got tweaked a bit and is now 'wac-a-thon.'  Because we're all a bit wacky? Not necessarily but the initial letters of our group name are 'wac' so someone put it on her submission and a name was born.

Some days I will submit my blog post to wac-a-thon. Other days, there will be the beginning of a story or something I'm musing over or a poem. Maybe a recipe. Maybe one profound sentence. I'm hoping this next 31 days will spark a lot of inspiration.

The poster photo also poses another question for writers. What kind of footprints will you leave in the writing world?  Will they be lasting or will the waves soon wash them away? Will they be meaningful? Will they bring something to readers? Will writing successes be a part of those footprints? Will those footprints be deep or simply shallow? Will they be satisfying to you, the writer?

I've posed a lot of questions about the footprints writers make. Take some time and mull over each one as it applies to your own writing life.

The poster also politely asks that August be good. Let's hope it is a good month for writing and that we leave some meaningful footprints in the sand as we move along our writing journey. 

1 comment:

  1. I felt the temperture go up while reading this blog and now a spark is lit.

    Vickie Guillot

    ReplyDelete

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...