Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Writers and Stored Memories



Truth to today's poster! Only yesterday, I made a comment on a facebook friend's post. Two sentences about a memory she had shared. She quickly replied that I needed to write a story based on the comment I'd made. It was something trivial from childhood days. 

As I continued to scroll through other posts, the wheels in my head started turning slowly and suddenly started racing when I realized I could write a story for a new Chicken Soup for the Soul book looking for submissions. The offhand comment I'd made on my writer friend's facebook post gave me a good topic. 

Nothing is wasted in a writer's life. We sometimes need a trigger like my friend's comment about me needing to write the story. 

Think of your brain as a room filled with tiny boxes. Each one holds an experience in your life or info about a person who crossed your path sometime during the years you have lived. Every box holds the potential for a story to write. All you need is a trigger which brings forth the memory. Then apply all your creativity to let the story emerge like a butterfly from its cocoon. 

Think of the resources in those boxes, each one very small but a treasure all its own. Consider the places you've been in your lifetime, the people you've met, the events that occurred, the good, the bad and, yes, the ugly. 

All people harbor the things mentioned above but it's the writer who can use them to his/her benefit. It's the writer who can create much from something very small. It's the writer who can make an insignificant happening a full story. 

Start organizing those wee little boxes in your brain. Peek into them now and then to find new story ideas. They're yours. They're free. They're gems! 

1 comment:

  1. Even the ugly and the bad -- I agree. And that kind of writing/sharing can be therapeutic as well.

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...