Monday, July 30, 2018

Should Writers Give Up?




How many times have you thought, or said aloud, that you are going to give up writing? It happens to many a good writer. Think of all the reasons that make you feel that way. 

Here's a partial list: 
  • You read a finished piece and think it stinks. 
  • You submit a story half a dozen times and all that you get are rejections.
  • You proofread a finished story or essay and wonder why there are so many errors.
  • You see little to no progress in your writing.
  • Your critique group offers more negatives than positives.
  • You keep writing the same thing over and over, don't come up with a fresh view.
  • Your work is filled with passive verbs and no sensory details so it seems blah.
  • You don't care about the mechanics of writing, just the story so it gets rejected many times.
  • You can't be bothered with writing exercises to help you grow as a writer.
  • You won't attend a writing workshop or conference to learn more about your craft.
Every one of the problems in the list above can be solved. And yes, you are allowed to vent your frustration. Go ahead and do what the poster tells us--scream or cry. Maybe even throw something. You're also allowed to walk away for a short break--hours or even days. 

The one thing you should not do is give up. If you truly want to be a writer, you need to keep working at improving. Nothing happens overnight. Athletes practice hours and hours for years to make it in the professional arenas. Well, guess what? Writers need to do the same thing. There's a reason you often hear this piece of advice for writers--Don't quit your day job. We don't become an overnight success. 

If your desire to write is strong enough, you won't give up. That's not to say you won't get angry, frustrated or depressed now and then? I have. Other writers have. And so will you! 

Go back to the list and decide which points you've had to deal with. Ask yourself how each of those problems can be solved. Then work on them one by one. 

If instead, you choose to quit writing, you may regret it. Besides that, the itch to write again may be more irritating than whatever it was that caused you to quit. Why waste all that you've already put into your writing journey? 

Because it's important, I'll repeat this one more time--Please don't give up. 




2 comments:

  1. I had this burning story in my heart that I had to tell. But, I owned tens of thousands of dollars for my education to become a dentist. I had promised my father that I would start paying it back while I was in the United States Marine Corps and when I began private practice. So I put Laddie's story off while I served in the military during the Vietnam War; while I worked for another dentist; while I established my own practice; while I got married and divorced; while I was sick, until I retired. Then I saved up enough money to go back to college to learn to be a good writer. After five years banging away at my computer, I finised writing, "Laddie: My Four-Legged-Protector," which is now sold all over the world on Amazon.com. (I can't wait to start my next book.) Don Marler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you didn't give up and I bet your readers are, too.

      Delete

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...