Friday, July 20, 2018

My Turn To Share 'Why I Write"

Nancy Julien Kopp

For the past four days, Guest Bloggers have treated us to some of their innermost thoughts on why they write. Each has given a different perspective. I am grateful to Karori, Terri, Terry, and Joan for taking time to share with us. One of the side benefits of being a writer is meeting and getting to know great writers like these four. 

Now, it's my turn. I'll pose the same three questions to myself: 

 1.  Why do you write?
 2.  What does it satisfy within?
 3. How do you keep your passion for writing alive and well?

From the time I learned to read in first grade, I have loved words, stories and books. I was of the era when kids learned to read with the help of Dick and Jane, Baby Sally and their pets, Spot and Puff. They became old friends as we skipped through one book after another following the adventures of this family of children, dog and cat and parents named Mother and Father. As I became more proficient, I moved on to other books. I read constantly. Yes, I was a bookworm. I became a frequent patron of our public library and still am.

That love of reading inspired my love of writing, even though it did not happen for a good many years. The desire to write was instilled in my growing-up years but the actual habit did not develop until I was in my early fifties. Oh, how I rue that wasted time now. I cannot blame anyone but myself for the long delay. I allowed 'life' to get in the way. I probably used it as an excuse because there was an element of fear involved, too. Could I? Dare I? Should I? 

Once the now or never moment occurred, I forged on. There I was, age 53, a novice and my writing screamed 'beginner' but I persisted until I had learned more about the craft of writing and had improved enough to be a published writer. I wrote short pieces, not books. The more I wrote, the more I loved doing so and I've never taken a step back.

I write because it allows me to give something to others. I have always been a service oriented person. On a college aptitude test, I scored 96% in 'serving others' and a mere 1% in mechanical ability/interest.' The professor who went over the test with me looked at that measly 1% and said, "You don't even like to open a can, do you?" Needless to say, this is why I started my blog to give tips and encouragement to other writers. Helping other writers pleases me and allows me to share the knowledge I've gained over the years.

I write to help preserve the past by writing family stories.  In my generation of my family, no one but me does it. I have a granddaughter who writes and will, hopefully, carry on the tradition of recording our family stories. 

I write because I love putting words together to form a story, a poem or an essay. Doing so gives me great inner satisfaction. It affords me a sense of accomplishment, allows me to know I am meeting my long-term goal of being a writer. I find it satisfying to look at a blank screen or piece of paper, and know that I can fill it because of my passion for writing.

I write because I have something to say--just like so many other writers. Being able to have an outlet to 'say it' brings a form of satisfaction, too. 

I keep my love for writing alive by practicing my craft on a regular basis. This blog allows me to do so five days a week but I also make sure I continue writing other things frequently, as well. The more I write, the more I want to keep going. It's like my love for chocolate. I never seem to get quite enough and have to go back for more. 

Belonging to an active online writing group also feeds my passion for writing. Our members spur one another. 

How about you? Have you given thought this week to why you write?

I hope you have enjoyed our Guest Blogger Week. I certainly did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...