Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Stories In Two New Anthologies

Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Empowered Woman: 101 Stories about Being Confident, Courageous and Your True Self by [Newmark, Amy]                                                 

Today, I am taking time to let you know about two new anthologies. I have a story in each one.

Chicken Soup for the Soul's latest book is titled The Empowered Woman. I love the word 'empowered' as it appears to show strength in the way it looks and when you say it. You'll find a wide variety stories in this anthology of 101 stories about confidence, courage and being true to yourself. They range from learning to do simple things to fighting back against sexual harassment.

My story is about a simple sentence my husband uttered when discussing his upcoming retirement some years ago. He informed me that he thought one car would do fine once he retired. The story is about my reaction, silent at first but building to a climax when I finally had to let it out. Let me assure you that, 20 years later, we still own two cars. The title of my story is Don't Take My Wheels!  I'm pleased to say that this is the 21st time one of my stories has appeared in a Chicken Soup for the Soul  book.

Amy Newmark, publisher of this series has selected a charity to receive the royalties from this newest book. I loved that she chose the Dress For Success program which is a nonprofit program to help women who are either returning or entering the workforce and need assistance with proper clothing. The group began in a church basement in 1997 but is now global with 30 countries involved.

You can find The Empowered Woman at your local bookstore or order it here from Amazon for a reduced price.

The second book is a of an entirely different theme. It is filled with stories written by mothers who have lost a child, whether infant, teen or adult. There are also sections with advice for people dealing with the grief that feels unending at times. My husband and I lost two of our children as infants from two unrelated causes. My story, Heartache, Hope and Faith, tells what happened, how I was affected differently with each death and how my faith gave me what was needed to survive and be a whole person once again.

These are not happy stories. Even so, they can serve to soothe those who have walked in the same footsteps. Other family members and friends will find a new understanding about what parents who lose children experience. Some can even be inspirational. Trisha Faye is an author who has created this book for others who have lost children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, children of good friends--for many people. You can order the book here from Amazon.

I received two copies of this book, no pay for this one. This is one of those projects that I feel is one I don't need to be paid for. If it is helpful to even one person, that's enough.  One copy I will keep and the other I plan to donate to a new group of mothers in my community who have lost children. They meet on a monthly basis to support one another. I plan to attend their June meeting and will bring the book to present to them at that time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...