Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Repeating Words Is a Writing No-No

R  E  P  E  A  T  E  D   W  O  R  D  S

Yesterday's post dealt with crutch words, the ones we lean on and use far too many times when we write. If you missed it, check it out here.  

Today, let's look at another small problem that keeps us from having the most sparkling prose ever. When we repeat the same word two or more times within a sentence or even a paragraph, we end up with boring sentences and irritated readers. 

Why do we continue to commit this felonious error when we write? (It's only considered felonious in the eyes of a real word person!) We are so intent on the sentence itself and the message it conveys that we don't pay attention to the repetition of words. It's also possible that it is another form of lazy writing. It's so much easier to repeat a word than to dream up a new one. 

Repeating words is one thing we should be cognizant of when we proofread and edit our first drafts. Is it on your mental list of what you look for when you proof that initial writing? It should be. 

Let's look at a few examples:

A.  BAD:  I had a new blouse on the day I went for the interview. I wore the new blouse hoping to look smart and elegant. The new blouse helped me get the job. 

BETTER: I had a new blouse on the day I went for the interview. I wore it hoping to look smart and elegant. That pretty piece of clothing helped me get the job.

B.  BAD:   I was going too fast when the cop stopped me. I was hurrying because I was late for my doctor appointment.  

BETTER:  The cop stopped me for speeding. Late for my doctor appointment, I hurried a little too much. 

We've all used the same words too close together when we write. It's especially easy to do when using those passive verbs like was as we see in Example B. Maybe we hurry too much when we sprinkle those same little words too close to one another instead of considering other words to use. Sometimes we can insert a different word. We can also change the order of the sentence to be able to use new words instead of the same ones.

I have noticed that some writers find a wonderful action verb to use. They love it so much that they use it two paragraphs down and again in the next one and then repeat it two more paragraphs into the story. If you do that, you suddenly lose the influence of that excellent action verb you discovered. It becomes overkill. 

Repeated words is a small problem but it is one I point out regularly when I'm doing a critique for someone in my online writing group. I'm sure it probably surprises them when they see it because we often are not aware of what we've done. I have had it pointed out to me in pieces I've submitted to the group and I'm happy to see it so I can make some changes. 

Once again, pull up an old story and read through it. Were you guilty of repeating too many words throughout the story? Make some changes; then read the story again. Hopefully, it will be better. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...