Monday, June 25, 2018

Four Little Words For Writers





Today's poster is what I would call quiet advice. It's not earth-shaking; it doesn't sing out loud and clear; it's not going to change your entire writing life. Even so, it's worth a look.

At the end of your day, do you slide through your mind to see what your goals for that day were and if you accomplished any of them--or all? I'd suggest doing this before you slide between the sheets and lay your head on the pillow. Start thinking then and it could be a good while before sleep comes. Instead, go over all that when you have finished writing for the day and before you go on with whatever else is waiting for you.

I think most of us get some of the things on our writer's To-Do List accomplished but seldom all of them on a daily basis. Let's face it. We have a lot more energy sometimes or more passion or inspiration on some days. It's not that we choose to have more or less, but that circumstances enter in. 

Whatever is going on in our 'not writers' life definitely affects our writing. If your kids are having problems or your husband is out of town and half the appliances in your house break down, there is no way you're going to satisfy your writing goals for the day. It's days like that when we have to say I'll try again tomorrow. 

How about when whatever you're writing hits a snag big enough to equate to a giant tree falling in front of your car as you're on your way to the beach Can't get around it, can't through it, can't get over it. You're stuck! Turn around and vow to try again tomorrow.

Those of you who are old enough to have read the book or have seen the movie Gone With the Wind will remember Scarlett's method of putting off decision-making. She said I'll think about that tomorrow. For this spoiled, Southern belle, it was the easy way out. 

I'll try again tomorrow shows a lot more grit than Scarlett did with her statement. Those four words show courage, determination, dedication and perhaps a bit of patience. One part of the writing journey we all experience now and then is discouragement. When the 'D' word hits, try repeating I'll try again tomorrow. Make it a mini-mantra. 

The more I see those words--I'll try again tomorrow--the better I like them. How about you?




2 comments:

  1. Nancy, thanks for reminding me that my list rarely gets done! I will try again tomorrow. Have a great day! Jim

    ReplyDelete

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...