Thursday, May 3, 2018

Writers Are Responsible For Choices




This poster offers good advice for all people but let's look at how it pertains to our writing journey. 

The last line and word following it, is one we should read on a regular basis. Deep down, we know it but sometimes we find it easier to blame anything and everything for the problems in our writing life. Look at the powerful words:

You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make. Period.

How have the decisions you've made affected your publishing history, your satisfaction with what you have produced and your growth as a writer? 

  • Did you submit your work to as many editors as it took before one accepted? 
  • Did you choose to leave a rejected piece sit and gather dust?
  • Did you read books on your craft to learn more?
  • Did you attend any conferences to help you grow as a writer?
  • Did you allot enough time to write?
  • Did you do a fast proofread and then submit your work?
  • Did you do more than one edit before submitting?
  • Did you join a writing group of some kind to continue growing as a writer?
  • Did you do a rewrite on pieces that didn't really satisfy you?
  • Did you ever turn down a social invitation so that you could write?
  • Did you ever take a short break from writing to find inspiration again?
  • Did you ever take the advice of an editor and resubmit?
  • Did you learn that patience and perseverance are keywords in the writing world? 
There are others, to be sure, but each of the points above depended on you being responsible for a choice. 

I include myself here, as well. Some readers might think that I am the writer who does it all perfectly. Rest assured that I have to learn, too. Part of the reason I continue this blog is to remind myself of many parts of the writing journey that I am on. We're all in this together. Some of us are farther along than others. 

Someone once asked if there is any end to this journey we started long ago? I plan to keep walking the path until I lose my mental capability or pass on. My personal journey will be over but I hope that what I've written over the years will still be read, or remembered, by others. That's one of the glorious parts of being a writer. 




2 comments:

  1. Amen! Nancy, this is good advice. Writing is something you keep doing to get better at it. No one is perfect. And if I live to be 160 years old, I will still never be perfect. But I hope to be better - like cheese and wine. Thank you for the inspiration and concomitant commiseration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. Perfection is beyond us, but we sure can work hard to get closer all the time. :) I like your analogy of the cheese and wine.:)

    ReplyDelete

No Fee, No Pay! Hmmm!

  H U H? I was skimming through a lengthy list of journals whose closing dates were looming. Many were published at universities, some were ...