Thursday, March 22, 2018

Writers Are Sometimes Their Own Obstacle



Wise words in our poster today. How many of us, myself included, have waited and waited to get a new writing project underway? See all those stars in the photo--each one might represent a writer who had an idea for a writing project--big or small--but never acted on it. 

We're wont to say that time is our enemy, that we let life get in the way, that circumstances weren't quite right for plunging into the new project. Excuses! I know many of you have used them. I have been guilty of spouting some of those words myself. 

I think what really holds us back comes down to the fact that we become our own obstacle. We have the idea but before we can write paragraph one, fear and doubt creep into the back of our mind. Thoughts like Can I do justice to this idea? Am I a good enough writer to tackle this monumental idea? What if I spend weeks, months, years on it and no one wants to publish the book? What if....?  Why does...? Round and round the thoughts go like the carnival carousel. Somehow, it seems easier to sit on that gaily painted carousel horse and keep going in circles rather than jump off and get to writing. 

I have a dear writer friend who has started many fine stories and books but she doesn't seem to reach the end. She quits and moves on to start something new. Why? I have asked myself that question several times. Is she afraid to finish because then she needs to market the project and there's a certain amount of fear involved? Does she prefer beginnings to endings? Something holds her back. She's a good writer with fine ideas and I've tried to encourage her but perhaps we all need to come to the solution on our own. 

Face the fact that the longer we wait, the older we get, the less time there is to finish and start the publishing process. Push fear aside and take steady steps to tackle those great ideas. Give yourself a pep talk if you must. Hey, there is nothing wrong with doing that. I've done it more than once. It's alright to remind yourself of your strengths and push the doubts aside. 

I have a folder in my files with stories, poems, novels and more that are partially finished. Occasionally, I look at them. One of the reasons I slide them right back in the folder is that I've hit a snag and I don't know how to tackle it. Which is easier? To put the project out of sight or to brainstorm with yourself (and maybe others) to get past the trouble spot? You and I know which is easiest but why not try the one that will be more productive? 

You might also have another folder labeled "Story Ideas" that goes through much the same process as those that are unfinished. Waiting buys you nothing. Don't be your own obstacle. Meet those unfinished projects/ideas head-on. Write the first draft. Then, revise and edit. Keep moving. The rolling stone gathers no moss. That's an old proverb that could apply to waiting too long to work on a story idea. Besides that, waiting does only make you older!

2 comments:

  1. I've done this, not finishing stories when i write, for as long as I can remember. Thank you for this positive reinforcement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of us havve been guilty of same. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...