Wednesday, March 14, 2018

About The Blank Page

Image result for writing quotes for free
The Blank Page

No quote on writing today, just a blank page in a book. How would you, as a writer, describe this empty piece of paper at what appears to be the beginning of a book? The blank page can also appear as a sea of nothing in whatever computer program you use to write. It can also be a clean piece of paper with nothing on it. 

There are two keywords I would use to describe the above. Inspiring and Terrifying.  Can they be both? Certainly.

Eager writing students and freelance writers often view that blank page as inspiring. They might think several things:
  • There it is waiting for me to fill it with words that will draw readers.
  • It's brand new, waiting for no one but me.
  • Putting the first words on a blank page is as delightful as being the first one to put footsteps in new-fallen snow.
  • With a blank page, I can write anything I want to. It's all mine.
  • The blank page opens like a lady's fan giving me space to write myriad things.
  • I can hardly wait to begin!
  • Which of the many ideas swirling in my mind shall I put on this page?
That blank page can also be terrifying. If you're a student with an assignment, you might panic. Your thoughts could be:
  • Good Heavens! What am I going to write about?
  • Where do I begin? 
  • That page looks like an ocean and I have to fill it word by word. Oh no!
  • I can't think. What will I say? 
  • How will I fill this page?
  • Can I do the assignment on time?
  • Will what I write be drivel or worthwhile?
A freelance writer might have altogether different reactions with thoughts like this:
  • I love beginnings so this page is perfect for me.
  • I've got a deadline; how will I have the right number of works by then?
  • What if Writer's Block attacks? The page might remain blank.
  • What if I fill the page with nothing but stupid things?
  • Am I a good enough writer to put something worthy on this page?
  • Will an editor want to publish what I put on this page?
  • Will readers give good reviews to my offerings
We can look at this blank page as either inspirational or terrifying. We can also consider it a challenge. How would you consider the blank page? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...