Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Are You The Queen of Unnecessary Words?

Image result for free image or clipart of scattered words


It's the simple things that can help you have a polished piece to submit to an editor. Using unnecessary words makes for 'clunky' writing. We have all done it without even thinking. From brain to fingers on keyboard, those unneeded words come tumbling through. We don't consciously think about them. They seem to happen quick as the flash on an old camera. 

I confess to being the Queen of Unnecessary Words in my early writing years. I am less guilty of adding these extra words today, but I admit that a few sneak into my writing once in awhile. Hey--nobody's perfect!

Some examples: (Unnecessary words are underlined) 

A. Right near the bike trail, I found five shiny new pennies. 

B.  Near the bike trail, I found five shiny pennies.


A.  The girls brought them to the circus with them. 

B.  The girls brought them to the circus.


A. Billy entered in the  calf roping contest.

B.  Billy entered the calf roping contest.


A.  I just don't want to eat my vegetables.

B.  I don't want to eat my vegetables.


A.  I sat down on the pink chair.

B.  I sat on the pink chair.

Some words that add nothing to a sentence: 
  • really
  • then
  • and so
  • even so
  • just
  • actually
  • in order to 
  • because of
These are only a few. Sometimes a sentence must be slightly restructured to eliminate the unnecessary word(s). Some words can be omitted without changing the sentence. Google more on this subject. It's so important that you'll find many articles addressing the problem.

Why is it important to edit all unnecessary words from your story, essay or article? The top reason is to make your sentences stronger which will increase the strength of the entire piece. It's true.



No comments:

Post a Comment

No Fee, No Pay! Hmmm!

  H U H? I was skimming through a lengthy list of journals whose closing dates were looming. Many were published at universities, some were ...