Tuesday, November 28, 2017

How Writers Recognize Giving Tuesday



Today is Giving Tuesday, a day designated to encourage people to give a donation to a worthy cause. Some suggest groups that help world hunger, refugees, fighting diseases and other needs. I've noticed that many of the writing newsletters I subscribe to have popped up with a suggestion to donate to keep their sites alive. I'm sure other special interest groups are doing the same today. 

As writers, we can consider giving our writing to a charitable group that puts out anthologies which are aimed at helping a particular needy group. I have recently donated a story and a poem to two of these groups. One is Samaritan's Purse and the other is Bards Against Hunger. There is no compensation to the writer other than the joy of knowing you helped in some small way for one of the many needy charitable groups in our world.

There has always been a controversy about writers giving away their work for no compensation. Many do exactly that, especially in the early days of their writing journey, just to have a better opportunity to be published. The other side of that coin is that some writers feel you should never, ever give away your work, that you are meant to be paid for the time, creativity and effort put in. 

I would hope that writers on both sides of that question--to give away your writing--would consider doing so for a charitable cause. You might also consider writing for free for a newsletter that your church or synagogue puts out, or a club you belong to. I was asked to write an article for a magazine about one of the members in an international women's group I belong to. I would not have dreamed of asking for compensation. I think many writers would do this but there might be a few holdouts who feel they need to be paid no matter what the situation. 

On this Giving Tuesday, consider donating your writing to some charitable cause. If not today, look for a way to do so in 2018. Or perhaps donate a little money to your favorite writing site. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...