Thursday, October 19, 2017

Who Can Give Good Writing Advice?


Lucy, the expert, is here to give us all some writing advice for the price of a mere nickel. Have you ever seen her on a street corner? I haven't, even though I keep an eye out for her wherever I go. Haven't seen Snoopy on top of his dog house tapping away on his typewriter either. 

But what about writing advice? Who is qualified to give it? I think there are three main groups of people who are qualified to help writers with tips and also some encouragement. 

Other Writers

Who knows better what works and what doesn't than other writers? It's why it's beneficial to read books on the craft of writing written by those who have been there, done that. Do I digest every bit of what they tell me in their book? Probably not, but many times certain parts stand out and are ones that I remember and try to incorporate into my own writing. All those little things I learn from other writers help me grow as I continue my own writing journey. 

Listen carefully to writers who present workshops at conferences. They've had some success in their field or they wouldn't have been invited to conduct the session. It's in places like this that you get some of the best tips about our craft. 

Reading the critiques from writers in my online writing group helps me learn, too. I view a sub in one light and another person sees a different perspective. It opens my eyes to new possibilities. We also learn from group discussions of writers, whether it be online or at a conference or having coffee with a writer friend. 

Those in the Publishing World

Who better to tell us what kind of writing has a chance of being published than those who work in that field? Editors and publishers have seen it all. They know how to weed out the good from the not-so-good and the perfectly awful submissions they receive. 

These people know what readers like. They are aware of the trends in the publishing world and watch for changes. They seek writers who are willing to work with them to make a good piece even better. 

Writers need to listen to editors. It's not a given that you'll always agree with them but do listen with eyes and heart open and willing to make changes. It's the writer's choice, of course, but consider being published versus a piece of writing languishing in a file and you can see the benefit. 

Readers

Yep, the readers give writers good writing advice in subtle ways. Readers love a certain genre for just so long and then, they move on to something new. Writers should pay attention to what it is that readers are purchasing, or borrowing from libraries. 

Readers sometimes write a fan letter to a writer. Glean all you can if you receive one. They may not say it exactly but a writer can read between the lines and gain a lot of understanding about how to write what readers want. 

Readers write reviews and cause ratings. Every writer should learn from watching both. 

If you can't find Lucy on a street corner, pay attention to the three groups listed here today for advice. Absorb it, then put it to use as you start new projects. The advice is yours for the taking.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...