Tuesday, October 10, 2017

What Makes A Successful Writer?




What more do I want, Maxine? A lot. 

I want you to write with passion. 

I want you to write using sensory details throughout your piece.

I want you to eliminate unnecessary words.

I want you to use active verbs

I want you to open with a great hook.

I want tension, whether it is fiction, creative nonfiction or a poem. Make me want to keep reading. 

I want tight writing that carries the reader along smoothly.

I want writing that evokes emotion in the reader.

I want the reader to feel satisfied at the end of the read.

I want a variety of sentences, long and short.

I want the same tense used throughout--no hopping back and forth.

It's not a lot to ask, Maxine. All these points are what makes a successful writer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...