Friday, October 13, 2017

Superstitious?



Why is Friday, the 13th filled with bad omens? Fear of Friday the 13th  has its very own term-- paraskevidekatriaphobia. I dare you to try and pronounce it. 

I recently read that around 21 million people are superstitious enough to fear this occasional day in our calendar year. I have a brother born on the 13th but I don't think he's ever given it a thought. Then again, maybe he has but never voiced it. 

It is widely thought that fear of this date originates way back to Christ's crucifixion which occurred on a Friday and the night before there were 13 guests at The Last Supper. It fits, doesn't it? But who is to say the theory is right or wrong? Other cultures ignore the whole idea while a few hark it back to things of a nonreligious nature. 

What does this day have to do with writing? How about using the topic to write something that you can later submit. What can you write? 

Write About Superstitions:
  • nonfiction for children 
  • fiction for adults with superstitions highlighted
  • poetry lends itself to this topic
  • slip it into a Halloween story
  • how to give a Friday the 13th party
  • a memory piece of something that happened involving superstitions
  • a list of superstitions and how the belief in them came about
  • an article on foods/cooking for a Friday the 13th party
You may think of some others to add to what I've listed. 

Am I superstitious? My head tells me it's foolish but childhood experiences make me a wee bit wary. I do not walk under ladders. I do not open an umbrella inside. A beloved aunt admonished me often enough about either of those things that I still watch carefully. I don't mind being on the 13th floor of a building or in the 13th seat somewhere. I plan a pretty normal day on Friday the 13th. So, I guess I am not a full-fledged superstitious person. 

How about you? Believe it or laugh at it (and at those who truly are superstitious)? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

No Fee, No Pay! Hmmm!

  H U H? I was skimming through a lengthy list of journals whose closing dates were looming. Many were published at universities, some were ...