Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Fear Of Submitting Your Writing



I have noticed several articles lately on having the courage to submit your writing for publication. It's obvious, then, that this is a major concern for those who write. Why and what can you do about it?

Why?  
No one likes to be put down. That's what writers feel like when a rejection comes flying back after a submission. I've had some come within an hour of the submission. Like an arrow soaring from the bow of an editor straight into my heart. Why put yourself in position for that kind of response? When those rejections arrive, whether immediately or months after submitting, we experience so many things--deflated, defeated, slapped in the face, punished, scolded, dumb, humiliated and more. There's no logical reason to feel those things; it seems to be human nature that we do so. 

Instead, we need to look at the reasons for the rejection. Many editors will soften the blow with some soothing words. Others will not. Just a blatant NO. Remind yourself that it is not 'you' personally that is being rejected (no matter how much it feels that way). The piece you submitted might have not been right for that publication. They may have published something similar recently. It was not on the theme. It may have been good but they accepted one that was better. 


What can you do about it?
As the quote today tells us, we need to believe in ourself before we ask someone else to do the same. It's easy to tell someone to do this but we have to practice what we preach, too. 

I have always taken the attitude that I will submit my work and take what comes as a learning experience.  I learn from both acceptances and rejections. And I do feel disappointed when a piece does not work out but I don't let it stop me from submitting again and again and again until that piece finds a home. Some never will but I can't know that unless I keep on sending it out. 

Writers sometimes dwell on the negative side instead of the positive. Work on breaking this habit if that is what you do. If you feel like what you've written is worthy of publication, keep pushing it. Steel yourself to the possibility of rejection. We know we will get more of those than acceptances. It's the nature of the game and you are most certainly not alone. You have plenty of company.

Quote about self-confidence - She was unstoppable, not because she did not have failures or doubts, but because she continued on despite them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...