It's a bit difficult to read the small print on today's poster so I'll copy it below in a more readable form.
It's a flat object made from a tree with flexible parts on which are imprinted lots of funny dark squiggles. But one glance at it & you're inside the mind of another person, maybe somebody dead for thousands of years. Across the millenia, an author is speaking clearly and silently inside your head, directly to you.
Yes, a book is truly an astonishing thing. Consider the many steps that must be taken before a book lands in your eager hands and after.
- an idea is born in the mind of a writer
- the idea swirls in his/her mind for months, even years
- an outline is made (sometimes)
- a first draft is written, a little at a time
- the writer revises and edits
- writer asks friends and family to read the manuscript
- writer submits chapter by chapter to his/her writing critique group
- writer makes more revisions; edits line by line
- some hire a professional to do a final edit
- writer must shop the book to various agents and/or publishers--can be endless
- Eureka! Someone wants to publish the book
- More revisions and editing
- the publisher takes over and goes through a many step process to produce the book
- the writer holds the first book in his/her hand and probably weeps with joy and relief
- the marketing begins with the publisher
- the book hits the shelves in the books stores and online
- the marketing continues with the writer helping with book signings, speaking engagements
- writer must seek reviews from myriad sources
The next time you go to a book store or your local library, pick up a book, hold it open with both hands and consider what it took for that book to come from a person's mind into your hands. Yes, a book is an astonishing thing.
If you've ever tried to write one, you know that better than most. If you've ever had a book published, be ever so proud of yourself. You are a big part of that astonishing thing.
If you have never written a book but read many, you also have an appreciation of this blessing we have--books!