Monday, August 21, 2017

Are Writers Scaredy Cats?





This morning, one of the first things I read was a post by Kathy Pooler who has a fine blog called Memoir Writer's Journey. She featured an interview with William Kenower, author of Fearless Writing. The quote used at the beginning of the post called out to me and held me suspended for awhile. The quote is:

"You will find your confidence and begin writing fearlessly the moment you stop caring about what anyone else thinks."  William Kenower, Fearless Writing

Go to Amazon to read a summary and reviews of Mr. Kenower's book. All 9 reviews gave it 5 stars. In the summary, there is a statement about the fact that this is not a how-to book about writing. Instead, it is a book to put you in the proper mindset to become a writer. 

I have not read the book but I would like to do so and perhaps you would, too. But let's go back to that thought provoking quote. I'm in agreement that one of the things that holds us back as writers is caring about what other people think of us. 


We've been conditioned into that from childhood on, haven't we? Mom taught us to behave nicely in public--keep our dresses down, speak in a soft voice, don't use harsh language, say please and thank you. After all, what would people think if we did otherwise? That was the message we received. Nothing wrong with it as we learned to be civilized people, ones who can fit into society with no problem. 


Even so, we also learned to care about what others think of us to the point that it could easily hold us back when we write. I daresay that many writers hear their mother's admonitions in their subconscious even while they try to write the greatest novel known to man. 


Note that Mr. Kenower cites our confidence as being of importance in writing without fear. No doubt that confidence does not come wrapped in pretty tissue paper and tied with a ribbon. Wouldn't it be nice if we could run to our nearest Walmart and pick it up? Instead, I think it is something we acquire bit by bit. Having a proper attitude toward our writing is one step to gaining that confidence. 


Just how do we learn to stop caring about what others think so that we can write fearlessly? I'm anxious to read the book and learn more but in my own mind, I think that we must acquire that ability one small step at a time and we must practice what we learn on a regular basis. 


If you start an exercise program to help your aches and pains (guess who is doing this?) and it helps you a great deal, should you suddenly stop exercising? You know what will happen. All the same aches and pains will come rolling back, settling into the same spots they were in originally. Once we learn how to combat something--whether it is physical or the art of having the confidence to write without caring what others think--we have to continue to practice what we achieved. Forever! 


I love the thought that we should write without giving a thought to what others think of us. The chains will break and we can write whatever is in our heart and from our heart. This is only the beginning of this concept. I hope to learn a lot more after reading Fearless Writing. How about you?


William Kenower's website can be found here. Do also check out Kathy Pooler's blog if you have an interest in memoir writing.  (Link above)

2 comments:

  1. Dear Nancy, I appreciate your generous mention and link to my blog. Fearless Writing is definitely a book I recommend to all writers.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Thanks Kathleen, for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...