Thursday, May 25, 2017

Even Moving Inches Will Get You There



Today's poster quote can be summed up with a simple thought. Achieving success doesn't happen overnight. 

Beginning writers know this in their rational mind but their heart might tell them otherwise. When we want to be successful writers, we would give a lot for it to happen quickly. Write a story. Get it published. Sounds simple but any writer with experience will let you know this is a dream. It may be what your heart is saying but it takes a lot more than just plain desire. 

But doesn't the quote begin with a dream? It's our jumping off place. It's where our writing journey begins. We acquire those other things along the way--faith in our ability, action, perseverance and patience. 

Wouldn't it be nice if we could stop in at a writing shop and buy a pound of each? If only! Instead, writers must work at each one of those traits on a consistent basis to make that dream a reality.

Will your big dream come true if you pursue each one? For a few, it will. But for many, only part of the big dream will come to fruition. And that's perfectly alright. There's nothing wrong with meeting small goals. 

At times, it feels like we move inch by inch when we'd like it to be leaps and bounds. Keep in mind that even with inches, you're making progress. It's when you move backwards or get stuck in one place for a long time that you should be concerned. Keep moving! 

Yesterday, I spent some time looking through some calls for submissions. It's been awhile since I submitted to someplace other than Chicken Soup for the Soul.  I've been busy with a lot of other things. At least, that's what I told myself. But the reality is that I got a bit lazy. Finding places to submit to takes time and perseverance. A bit of patience, too. As I scanned through the possibilities I found in newsletters and facebook postings, I got more enthused. I thought about pieces already written that might fit this one or that. I had a few ideas for new writing pop into my head. 

Consider what you haven't been doing for awhile and revisit. Whether it's a certain kind of writing or finding places to submit or revising old pieces, spend some time there. Inspiration can sometimes be of our own making. That simple act of looking for places to submit to yesterday definitely inspired me. 

Today's poster might be a good one to print and keep close to your writing area. Use it as a reminder of where you want to go and how you can get there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...