Thursday, January 26, 2017

Why Do You Write?

Have you ever been asked Why do you write? Most writers probably have that question tossed toward them at least once if not many times. What do you answer? Do you give a flip, offhand remark or do you dig deep within before you answer?

There are myriad quotes to be found giving an answer as to why we write. I've posted just a few of them today. What are your thoughts about the quotes? Which one do you like the best? the least?

The bigger question is this one: Why do you write? Put your answer in the comments section of today's post. My answer is at the bottom of this post.

Image result for Reasons to Write



Image result for Reasons to Write



Image result for Why I Write



Image result for Why I Write


Image result for Why I Write


As for me, I write for several reasons. Here are a few of them:

  • I enjoy creating something new
  • I want to leave a record of family history and stories
  • I have a need to tell a story, write a poem or an article
  • I want to leave something behind when I am no longer here
  • I want to give something to others
  • I write because I can
  • I just plain love it


















4 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy, "why write" is indeed a fundamental question for us and I believe we should always keep the reasons in mind as our lodestars. Thank you for sharing yours. In fact I have written an essay about "why I write," and I'm sure you can write one too. Here's the link to the essay, if you are interested. I'm also sure that, if you ever decide to write one, it will be a nice opening chapter of your essay collection. -Kaori at WAC
    http://talkingwriting.com/landscape-portal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read your essay, Kaori. It's wonderful!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Nancy. I hope to keep reading your essays, especially about your family history that drives you to write!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your comment and suggestion, Kaori. I'm going to read your essay later today.

    ReplyDelete

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...