Wednesday, May 4, 2016

When You Write...



Anne Frank's story is known world-wide. Many of her quotes are still with us today. The one above is new to me but one I, as a writer, can definitely relate to. No doubt, you who write, get the message loud and clear, as well.

Think of all the weeks and months that Anne's family spent in hiding. Her writing became her lifeline to others even though she never knew about the millions of people who would read what she wrote many years later. She lives on through the writing she did as a young girl, writing that showed maturity and insight beyond her years. It makes me wonder what she might have achieved through her writing had she lived to adulthood. Instead of being sad about what might have been, let's be grateful for what she did give the world during her short life.

And now on to more on the quote itself. We hear about men wanting to have their Man Cave where they can do the things men do. Writers could use a Writer Cave, too. It's a place where we can escape from the everyday cares and enter our writing world where we are in charge and our other concerns do not touch us for the time we are writing.

When I'm writing, I don't think about the problems plaguing a few members of my family right now. It doesn't mean that I am dismissing those concerns. Not at all. Instead, I devote my full attention to my writing and I almost always finish with a sense of fulfillment. Even when a story doesn't work out just right. I know that it will as I continue revising and editing.

When I'm writing, I don't give a thought to the household tasks waiting for me. I can keep writing as long as my muse is willing and I know that those dust bunnies will still be there when I'm finished with the writing session. Housework never disappears but does seem willing to wait for us until we're ready to tackle it.

When I'm writing, I don't let the committee work I promised to do enter my mind. I wait until the writing is done and then consider what I need to do for the committee. Deadlines make me put something like this as a priority for the non-writing time.

During some of the sad times in my life, I have found writing to be an escape to a happier place, if even for an hour or two. Often, the writing then involves whatever that sadness might have been--the loss of a loved one, perhaps. I have found that kind of writing to be a small step in the healing process when grieving.

Give some thought today to this quote by Anne Frank. How does it apply to your own writing life? Few of us have to bear what she and her family lived through during the attic years. We were given many more years to pursue the craft that Anne, herself, loved so dearly. I, for one, am feeling very grateful after thinking about this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Writers Who Do, Not Just Think

There's an ocean of difference between people who think about writing and those who actually do it. Myriad numbers of people have a desi...