Thursday, May 26, 2016

Have A Big, Black Cloud Hovering Over You?


This cute little poster reminded me that nothing goes bad forever. When we have a spate of rejections, we feel like there's a big, black cloud hovering over us. Sometimes, it doesn't want to move either, just hangs there blocking out the sunshine of your writing life. Send a story out, get it back with a "Sorry, but this is not for us." Or even worse, you never hear from the place where you sent it.

That is one of my pet peeves in this submission business. I'm fine if an editor does not want what I sent but I'd like to know that, not just be ignored. How long do I wait until I send it elsewhere? Some editors have a turnaround of only weeks while others take months. Just let me know and I'll move on.

Another gripe I have is when there are no, or extremely limited, writer's guidelines given. Print the guidelines and writers can, and should, follow them. If there are none, we're left with a big "Huh?" on our faces. It seems to me that editors would benefit by having guidelines, too. They would not get lots of submissions that have nothing to do with the kind of publication they have.

What bothers you in this writing business? Let us know in the comments box and maybe others can address the topic you bring up.

Just remember this--Everything is going to be alright, maybe not today but eventually. Just keep plugging away writing what you write best and sending your work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writers Who Do, Not Just Think

There's an ocean of difference between people who think about writing and those who actually do it. Myriad numbers of people have a desi...