Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Seven Of My Favorite Authors

For a change of pace today, I'm going to share a list of seven of my favorite authors. Some of them have one outstanding book--outstanding for me, that is, while others have written several books that I have especially enjoyed. Each one of these writers were beginners at one time and I have a feeling they all practiced those two keywords I often mention--patience and perseverance. Their fame did not come during their earliest days of writing.

If there is one author here that you have never read, google him/her and select a book to read. Check your local library or Amazon. Do you have a list of favorite authors? Share them with us in the comments section.




 Ken Follett's expertise in storytelling is amazing. I could list a number of his books that I found to be wonderful reading but Pillars of the Earth and Eye of the Needle are two of my favorites. 

Catherine Cookson is one of the most prolific writers of all time. She has more titles published than most authors dream of. Her books are historical and tell stories of the working class of England. She is truly a wonderful storyteller. 



Rosamunde Pilcher's The Shell Seekers is a book I think every mother and every daughter should read. I list it as one of my all-time favorite reads. Her other books are good reads, too, but The Shell Seekers is special.



I devoured Maeve Binchy's novels, each and every one. She writes about everyday people in Irleand, bringing them to life for her readers. It's difficult to pick a favorite of her work but one of the earliest, Light A Penny Candle, would be my choice.


I think that Daniel Silva is one of the very best spy-thriller authors. I have read numerous titles in his series featuring Gregory Allon, an art restorer who is also an Israeli spy. You can't go wrong with any of them but look for the early ones to get to know the protagonist, then follow him in additional titles.


Margaret Mitchell is still famous for her epic Civil War novel, Gone With The Wind. I first read it when I was still in high school. I learned more about the Civil War in this novel than I ever did in American History class. It's one book that I have read three times. I rarely ever read a book more than once, but this one...yes!


Another writer whose books I began to read while in high school was Pearl Buck. Her books, set in China, brought another culture to life while showing that people around the world are more alike than different. The Good Earth is one she is best known for. A movie was made in the '30's I believe--an Academy Award winning movie. There were many other books that she wrote that I considered as good.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...