Monday, January 19, 2015

SIT and STAY Isn't Just For Dogs



I loved this poster picture put out by Writing Sisters. So simple and yet so profound. Really!

Stop and think about what these words tell us. We cannot write unless we sit at the computer or with notebook and pen in hand. We cannot actually write unless we stay where we are and get to work!

How often do you go about your everyday life thinking about writing something but somehow never getting to that sit part of the advice above? I'm as guilty of this as the next person but then I reach a point where I force myself to sit in front of my computer. 

Next, I stay there for a reasonably long time working on whatever project is at the forefront on my  mental To-Do List. How do you do it?

One simple word covers it--discipline.  I remember when my children balked at memorizing assignments in school and in their catechism classes. Why do I need to remember this? I'll forget it later. They might learn something from what they'd memorized or it might come back to them many years later when needed, but I am a firm believer that memorizing as a young person helps to acquire discipline. That quality is one that can be of good use the remainder of your life. 


Just for fun, I looked up discipline on the dictionary website. Among several meanings was one that fits our topic for today. They even used a sample sentence that fit quite well:

activity, exercise, or a regimen that develops or improves a skill;training:
A daily stint at the typewriter is excellent discipline for a writer.

There are myriad articles on developing self-dsicipline. Google the term and you'll have plenty of help if you are a person who needs to acquire more of this valuable trait.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...