Friday, August 22, 2014

Good Advice From Two Lovable Characters


Someone shared this delightful poster on facebook, attributed it to being one Jack Canfield had originally posted. Jack Canfield is one of the founders of the Chicken Soup for the Soul series of anthology books.

Don't we all love Snoopy and Charlie Brown? Somehow, words of advice from them tend to feel rather special. Good enough for Snoopy and Charlie Brown, perfect for me. Right? 

Being me, I immediately related this small but powerful sentence on the poster to our writing world. What if, for today, we were grateful for everything in our writing world? Yes, both the good and the not so hot stuff. Make a list of the things you are grateful for in your own writing world. Add to it the rest of the day. I have a feeling you'll keep thinking of things that could be on it. 

My own list is below: 

In my writing world, I am grateful for...

1. the ability to write a coherent story, essay, article or poem

2. the many friends included in my life because of my writing

3. the cyberworld that allows me to reach myriad readers

4. my public library which helps me in so many ways

5. my own personal library of books about the craft of writing

6. being published many times

7. being able to attend writing conferences and conventions 

8. being asked to teach a workshop or give a program related to my writing

9. having a memory that brings back material from long ago to use in memoir writing

10. my online writing critique group

11. those who read my work

12. editors who give me a reason for rejecting my submission so that I can learn from it.

13. rejections and critiques that help me grow as a writer

I'm sure I'll come up with a few more items for my list as I move through my day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writers Who Do, Not Just Think

There's an ocean of difference between people who think about writing and those who actually do it. Myriad numbers of people have a desi...