Friday, December 13, 2013

Gifts That Cost Little But Mean Much



You may remember my blog post reviewing a YA novel called Maggie Vaults Over The Moon. You can read it here. I had never met the author, Grant Overstake, but he knew of me and contacted me through facebook. He asked if he could send me his YA novel. Of course, I said yes. The book arrived in the mail a short time later. I sat down with it one evening and was hooked immediately. Thus came the post/review on Grant's book. Then I sent it to my two teen-age granddaughters to read. I've recommended the book to a good many people since then.

This morning, I received notice that Grant had placed me and a portion of my review in Maggie's Hall of Fame. What a nice surprise. I received a message from Grant pointing me to the Hall of Fame page. When I got there and saw the above, I was so pleased. It felt like a Christmas package all done up with happy Christmas paper and sparkly ribbons. There I was alongside Miss Maggie (her book cover) and a quote from my earlier post. That and Grant's very nice message to me fits right into the category of Gifts I Love To Receive. Made my day!

A gift like this could be termed priceless. It costs the giver nothing but means the world to the recipient. In one of your 'sit down and catch your breath' moments today, why not make a list of people in your writing world that you think highly of for whatever reason. You know how you feel about them but they may not be aware of it. Why not take a few moments and send them a thank you for......note? You can do it as simply or as elaborately as you like. The wrappings are nice but it's the message that counts.

How about someone who has encouraged you in your writing endeavors? Or the friend who critiques all your work. What about the special buddy in your writing group that is there to catch you when you fall and cheer with you when you have a success? How about the illustrator who helps you with book covers for your ebooks? Or the friend who keeps the kids for a couple of hours so you can write? If you give it some thought, you'll find that there are a whole lot of folks out there who have been beneficial to your writing world.

In this season of gift-giving, take a little time and send a gift of thanks in lyrical poetry or prose. It's what you do best. Right?

1 comment:

  1. So sweet and yes, you are right, it is often a small gesture like that that means the world to someone else.

    ReplyDelete

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...