Month number 10--it's here. Brand new and shiny. What are you going to do with it?
Take a look at the month we just finished before you decide. Did you have some goals for September? Were you going to get busy on some writing projects that you'd put off over the summer? Did you manage to do so? Did you submit anything to an editor or publisher? Did you read a new book about the craft of writing?
Some of us will have positve answers to what we accomplished in September and others will sit with regret as their companion today. But not to worry. As I said, you have a whole new month ahead. Start by making a list of the goals you'd like to achieve in these next 31 days.
Then you might write something to add to your Family Memories Book. It's a good way to get your writing world in tune. Include some or all of the following:
1. What was the weather like where you grew up in October?
2. What special things did you do in school?
3. How did you celebrate Halloween?
4. Did your school celebrate any other October holiday, like Columbus Day?
5. Did your mother make special foods in this fall month?
6. Did your wardrobe start to change?
7. Did your family burn the fallen leaves they raked into a big pile?
8. Did your family have any religious holiday celebration in October?
If we put off starting on our goals, the days tend to slip by like rushing water in a river. Once the day is gone, we can't retrieve it. Use your days wisely this month.Let the writing begin! I started my month by writing the Morning Pages we've been discussing recently. It helped me decide some of the other things I'd like to do this month. There's more in my life than writing, but it definitely merits a gold star as to what I consider important.
Yep, you've got 31 beautiful days to work with in October. It's up to you what you do with them.