Today's post is to let you know about some calls for submissions. So, on with the show.
1. A Children's Poetry Contest The Children's Writer newsletter, which is published through the Institute of Children's Literature, is sponsoring contest with the them of Seasonal Poetry. They are also accepting holiday poetry, so you have a pretty broad range of subjects to write your poem. For those who subscribe to the newsletter, the first entry is free. Don't we all love contests like that? If you are not a subscriber, your entry fee will be $15, but you will receive a year's subsription to The Children's Writer. That appears to be a win-win situation. Read more about the contest and the guidelines here. Grand prize is $500, one of $250 and 3 $100 prizes. You've got 5 chances to win in this one. The Grand Prize poem will also be published in the newsletter.
2. Not Your Mother's Book On...Pets Editor, Kathy Baker, is still seeking stories for this title. She says she has plenty of cat and dog stories. Now, she's looking for true stories on more uusual pets--iguanas, turtles, potbelly pigs, hamsters, snakes and more. One rule is that they want no stories about beloved pets dying. Nope, these should be funny or amazing stories, perhaps an embarrassing moment involving your pet. Go to the NYMB page on this book for further guidelines.
3. Chicken Soup for the Soul: Overcoming Challenges This popular anthology series wants to know what you've done to meet a challenge in your life. How did you handle it, what did you do to overcome it? Not an essay or a how-to article. It should be a story about something that happened to you. Read the guidelines before writing your story. Deadline is October 31, 2013. Even if you've read them before, do it again.
4. Chicken Soup for the Soul: Home Sweet Home Stories for this book will illustrate Hearth, Happiness and Hard Work. Read the call for submissions on this book to get a feel for what they are looking for and perhaps some motivation for the story you will write. Deadline is November 30, 2013
5. U.S. Kids This publishing group gives children a choice of 3 magazines, each for a different age group. They seek submissions for each in fiction, nonfiction and poetry as well as recipes and crafts. Check their guidelines page.
6. Past Loves Contest This one has a deadline of September 17th so you'll have to write fast or find an old story in your files and polish it up. Read the guidelines, then get to work