Monday, February 4, 2013

Memories of February





Here we are in the glorious, but short, month of February. It's rather a special month for me. My son was born on the 5th of the month in 1968. On the 4th, it was unusually warm for a Chicago February day. Good thing, as I had an appointment with my OB doctor and I could not get my coat buttoned over that large baby bump. Kirk arrived at 10:20 p.m. on that mild day. The next morning, the window in my hospital room was up a few inches and snow was piled on the windowsill. 

February also brought my first grandchild, born 17 years ago on the 16th day of the month. I was hoping she'd be a Valentine baby, but she was much too content to make her appearance until two days later. She's still my Valentine girl.

When I was growing up, the teachers in my grade school put up new bulletin board material each month. In February, we had some that were devoted toValentine's Day and others to two presidents. We celebrated George Washington's birthday on the 22nd and also Abraham Lincoln's birthday on the 12th of the month. I attended Lincoln School so Old Abe was pretty revered. We got the day off on an alternating basis--one year we got Lincoln's birthday as a holiday from school and the next year, it was on George Washington's birthday. Teachers incorporated these two honored presidents into their lesson plans for several subjects. We learned about their boyhoods, their terms as presidents, what led to them becoming a leader of our country. Sure, some of what we learned was later deemed to be legend rather than fact, but it still gave us enough information to be in awe of these two great statesmen. It felt more important to us than today's President's Day.

What kind of February memories do you have? How about writing about them for your Memory Book? What kind of Valentine parties did you have as you were growing up? What did your teachers emphasize in this month? Did your mom do anything special during February? What was the weather like where you lived? Did your family eat any special foods during this month? My mother always made heart sugar cookies and I have made them nearly every year since then. Sometimes with red sugar sprinkled on top and sometimes with pink frosting. 

It's time to put those February memories in print so your family will be able to read them someday. It's a short month so don't delay! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Fee, No Pay! Hmmm!

  H U H? I was skimming through a lengthy list of journals whose closing dates were looming. Many were published at universities, some were ...