Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My Thoughts On 12 1/2 Writing Rules


How could I pass up this wonderful poster? Every one of these writing rules is sensible and something writers can accomplish. You don't have to be genetically connected to Albert Einstein to follow the rules here. A few are a bit tongue-in-cheek but they all make a definite point. 

Here's my short take on the dozen and a half listed. 

1.  You've read the same thing here more than once. You must write on a regular basis, even if it is only doing a writing exercise.

2.  Right on. If I don't like what I'm writing, chances are no one else will either.

3.  Routines are comforting. Find one for your writing life.

4.  I prefer poetry that does not rhyme. Rhyming poets sometimes go goofy with trying to find the words that are needed.

5.  Defining a character using a sterotype is far too easy. It's for the lazy writer. Create something unique.

6.  'Nuff said. I am always encouraging writers to read.

7.  This in itself would be a good writing exercise.

8.  Right! I have always argued that sometimes a story is written for pure entertainment, not to teach a lesson.

9.  The Girl Scout motto comes to mind on this one.

10.  Everyday life can be the base for a story.

11.  Move out of your comfort zone. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. (Cliche but valid)

12.  Good point, We are too often biased in what we write. Remember the other side.

12 1/2. Yep, go write something!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...