Tuesday, January 1, 2013

List your Goals But Keep It Short!



I threw away our old calendars and put a new one near the phone and another on the wall here in my office this morning. The picture on the wall calendar is of a farm on a snowy day. Kind of looks like what I see outside my window. Not the farm but the snow. We had about 4 inches yesterday. The snowplow has not found our street yet nor have the newspapers arrived. Kind of nice that it's a holiday and people can stay in if they don't want to fight the snowy roads and crisp temps. Maybe I should say 'frigid' temps. 

At the beginning of a new year, we tend to reflect on the old one before we look forward. I've tried to look back without regrets rising. Whatever I did or didn't do the previous year is over, finished, kaput. There's no changing whatever happened in your writing life or your personal life either. Sure, there are things I wish I'd done differently, but I can't slide back to June or October or whenever it was. So, I prefer not to dwell on them. It's more fun to look at the positives so concentrate on those.

As for the ones you wish you'd done differently--they are the perfect base for your To-Do List for 2013 or for setting your goals for this new year. Spend today thinking about what you'd like to accomplish this year. Make a list, print it and keep it nearby so you see if every day. Making a list of goals and then hiding it in a file or a drawer does little good. We need that daily reminder. It's as good as an old-fashioned kick in the rear end. 

As for your goal list--make it short. List too many things and it looks overwhelming. You start wondering how in the world you'll ever accomplish all those items. 

1 comment:

  1. My list is short. I don't make resolutions, but do try to set at least one goal for the year. I'm still trying to decide which goal to work on this year.

    ReplyDelete

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...