Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Nameless Gems


The Ladies Guild at my church celebrates Advent with an annual Brunch. We have two groups involved who alternate hostessing the event. My Circle is responsible this year. One woman is great at decorating, so she always takes on that job. Guess who is given the job of preparing a program? So, here I am searching the cyberworld and my own inner thoughts for something that illustrates our theme.

Months ago, I selected the theme Christmas Hope. We've done agnels, carols, trees, bells. nativity sets in the past, so I wanted something different, but little did I know that my theme would prove difficult. I've searched  bookstores and the library for a children's book that illustrates the hope that the birth of Jesus has given us. Zippo! 

I've spent an eternity of time online looking for quotes, poetry, or a story that fits the theme. I've finally come up with enough material to build my program, but in doing so, I noted something rather sad. At least, for a writer like me, it tugs at my heart.

Many of the better poems and stories I found had no author. The byline or end line only showed Anonymous. Some of these unknown author pieces were true gems. Beautiful, poignant, filled with valuable messages--and yet they remain nameless. 

Someone created these words that have lived on, but they are lost in a swirl of smoke that's drifted off, never to be seen again. And someone else started passing the piece on but neglected to give the author credit. And another someone did the same. 

If you use an admired piece of writing in a program, on your blog or website, or quote from it in an essay you might be working on, give the author credit. If you don't know the author, say so. Even Anonymous means some real person wrote this gem. They deserve to be named.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...