We've talked about sensory details a number of times. Using sensory details makes a good story even better. They bring life to a story and allow the reader to relate to the characters and situation.
We use sight, sound and smell often when writing a story, but the sense of touch can be very useful, as well.
Think about the way your fingers relay messages to your brain when you touch something. Immediately, you know if what you touched is soft, hard, smooth or greasy. Some things we touch bring satisfying reactions while others are startling.
Try this exercise on using this important sensory detail. Write a sentence showing a reaction to each of the items below:
1. kitten
2. doorknob
3. grass
4. baby's blanket
5. a tub of water
6. grease
7. tree trunk
Now, reverse the exercise by using these reactions to touch in a sentence. Show, don't tell
1. soft
2. hard
3. smooth
4. rough
5. sticky
6. greasy
7. hot
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A Memoir to Enjoy
I recently read a book that I enjoyed so much that I wanted to share it with others. Kenneth Goetz offers us his memoir titled A Streak o...
-
Don't worry, I haven't lost it. The reason I am putting up a Christmaslike poster two days before Thanksgiving is a sane one...
-
Today's quote says 'I will take at least one step everyday towards achieving my dreams.' For writers, that dream may be writing...
-
Snow drifts after our blizzard Yesterday we had a blizzard in Kansas that roared in from Colorado and traveled on to other Midwester...
No comments:
Post a Comment