Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Good Way to De-Stress

Yesterday, I ran several errands, and one happened to be next to a book store. Since I had nothing calling me home immediately, I decided to browse and see what was new in the book world. I don't do it too frequently because once I open the door and glide into the aisles and aisles of books, I'm lost for a good long time.

This visit was no different. First, I looked at the display tables of new books, both fiction and non-fiction. There were a good many that I passed right over as they were science fiction, vampire books, mysteries that were a bit too much blood and gore and paranormal. I prefer historical fiction, family sagas, romance, suspense and adventure books.

I spent a little time at a display of Halloween books for children, considering a couple for my two youngest grandchildren. And then it was on to the regular fiction shelves. This particular store puts both new and used books on the same shelves, the used ones having a large dark green, wrap-around label on the bottom. I noticed that there would often be both new and used copies of the same title. The used books were not tattered and torn, they were all in very good condition, so which one to pick was a no-brainer.

I found two used books that appealed to me. Were money no object, I probably would have selected about a dozen more. I must admit that I buy few books. I read more from the library than I do books I purchase. I fear the book store will not make it on my purchases. I do buy books for gifts, however, and I love spending time in book stores.

Browsing in a book store is one of the most calming activities I know. My love for books manages to over-ride any stress about other things that I might have.  For me, being amongst hundreds, perhaps thousands of books feels like a shower of one of  life's greatest blessings.

Next time you're feeling harried and stressed, try a visit to a book store. Lose yourself among the words of others and let the rest go.

1 comment:

  1. It's hard for me to pass up a book store. Thankfully, Hubby likes them, too.

    ReplyDelete

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...