Monday, July 12, 2010

A Gem In The Junk

I check my spam box on a daily basis, and it's a good thing I do. Sitting amongst a lot of junk today was a gem. A message from the Thin Threads anthology publishers had slipped into the spam. I recognized the name, so quickly sent it flying to my inbox. An e-mail subject that says "Congratulations! You are a Thin Threads finalist." grabs your attention. Unlike the one yesterday telling me I'd won a lottery in London, and all I had to do was click on the attachment to find out how to claim my prize. That one I deleted in a hurry.

My story "College Isn't For Girls" tells about the hard road I traversed in convincing my parents I should go to college. No one in my immediate or extended family had ever gone beyond high school. The story qualified for the anthology as the editor defines the type of stories wanted as "thin thread" moments that have the power to change your life"

The editor worte that there were more than 1500 submissions for the book, and 100 finalists were selected. My good friend, Kathe Campbell, has three stories in that list. From the list of 100, four will be given prizes beyond regular payment and inclusion in the book. Some pretty nice prizes, too, but the odds of winning are fairly slim. Those winners will be announced August 15th.

For now, I'm pleased to have made it into an anthology series I've not been in before. I'ts a nice way to begin a new week. Be sure to check your spam box on a regular basis. You never know when that gem will appear. I put the address in my approved list.

If you'd like to check the Thin Threads websites go to:   http://www.kiwipublishing.com/index.php  and http://www.thinthreads.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...