Friday, February 19, 2010

Freewrite Your Way Out Of An Emotional Situation

I received news this morning that a very dear friend is dying. It's not terribly surprising as she is 95 and very frail physically, but her mind is as clear and sharp as when she was 25. Tears and a huge cloud of sadness descending were the first reaction I had. And the second one was a desire to write about all that I'm feeling. And I will do that sometime today, I'm sure. It's one way to release the grief I'm feeling. I'll freewrite and let whatever is inside rise to the surface like cream in an old-time milk bottle. It won't change what is happening with my friend, but it will help me to deal with a  coming loss and perhaps end up being a tribute to her, as well.

Writing can be an emotional outlet for many situations, not only for a loss. It also works with anger. In fact, freewriting when angry can serve more than one purpose. It does let you release your anger, but it may also help you see things from a different perspective when you read it a little later. It can help calm you down, delay making a rash decision or action that might not be wise.

A break-up, whether a romance or a marriage, is another emotional situation that writing may help. Let out the hurt, the anger, and the sadness. Freewrite your way as a first step in healing. Keeping all those emotions inside can create more problems and keep you mired in the mud of the break-up far longer than need be. No one else needs to see what you've written. It's for you, not to be used vindictively in any way.

Is freewriting a one-step cure? Of course not. But it can be a help. Whether we are angry, grieving, or deeply saddened, we move in steps to overcome or deal with these emotions. Freewriting is only one step on what might be a long road, but it's a beneficial one.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so, so sorry to read about your dear friend, Nancy. I share your pain.

    Writing has saved my life many times. I depend on it for survival more than a paycheck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Nancy.

    I have full journals that I wrote through my mother's cancer and death. It's very helpful to sort through emotions on paper. Here's another trick I learned. When you are really stuck/blue, try freewriting with your non-dominant hand. Not as fluid, but you access different parts of your brain and it can be revealing. I actually came across that in a book about freeing yourself writer's block, but I believe it is even more effective when you are simply troubled.

    Sorry about your friend. I'm sure you will end up with some lovely tributes to share, as well as help yourself through the grieving.

    ReplyDelete

A Writing Exercise Using Color

  C O L O R We promote showing over telling, emphasize it, in fact. It's a lot easier to tell (or report) than it is to show what a char...