Friday, February 26, 2010

Can You Haiku?

I met a poet at a conference my online writers' group had in 2008. Elaine Holoboff spoke to the group about writing poetry, shared some of her contemporary poems with us, and gave many of us the courage to try writing poetry. She and I corresponded after the conference, and she helped me with a poem I'd written.I now consider her a friend.

I enjoy reading haiku, but I've never had much success in writing them. Elaine, on the other hand, is a master at turning out one after another. She is on journey now to write 1011 haiku poems, which is what an ancient Japanese poet she admires had done. Her blog features her haiku and more. You can read these seemingly simple poems of few words but which say ever so much at http://nuhaiku1.blogspot.com/

If you've never been a fan of poetry, or of haiku, don't shake your head and ignore this interesting form of expression. Go to Elaine's blog and read some of her work. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, and you might even try to write one of your own. You, too, can haiku.

I'll tell you more on Monday how Elaine helped inspire me to write a lengthy poem that is soon to be published.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...