Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Wisdom in Quotes

Gloria Steinem:

Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.

The quote above made me smile and nod my head in agreement, for when I am at my computer writing, I don't worry about other things I should or could be doing. Just the opposite of when I make an attempt at napping.

All my adult life, if I lie down in the afternoon for a short nap, I cannot close my eyes. Napping is something I rarely do, only when extremely tired or not feeling well. When I do, I lie on my bed, close my eyes and my mind turns into a whirlwind of thoughts. I think of what is waiting for me in the laundry room, the kitchen, or the errands that need my attention. It all boils down to one word--Guilt!

I have no guilty feelings whatsoever when I'm writing, even though the kitchen floor needs to be mopped, the ironing is calling me, or dust has built up on the coffee table. Maybe it's because I love what I'm doing, or possibly that my writing is something I hope to share with others. I am in a world all my own, but I've learned that there must be a stopping point, that my real world needs my attention sometimes, too.

Whatever the reason, I am on Gloria Steinem's side 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...