Thursday, October 6, 2016

A Different Kind of Chicken Soup for the Soul Book



If you look at my profile on the right hand side of my blog page, you'll see that I have had stories published in 18 Chicken Soup for the Soul books. I don't take that accomplishment lightly. It means a great deal to me, especially when I learned that each book brings in around 5,000 submissions and only 101 are selected. The anthologies have been published for the past 23 years and they still sell.

Eight years ago, Amy Newmark and husband, Bill, purchased the company that publishes these inspirational books. Everyone wondered if a new publisher would measure up to the standards set by Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen. I'm happy to say that all is well with the publishing company and they are carrying on the tradition of the books very well.

I received an advance copy of Amy Newmark's book, Simply Happy, as were many other Chicken Soup authors. There was no pressure to write a review. I think the author relied on the book itself to motivate these author/readers and it did! The subtitle on the book cover gives a browser instant knowledge of what they will find within the book covers.

I have always been a person with a positive outlook, so I found myself nodding my head in agreement myriad times as I read the book. Also a positive outlook person, Amy Newmark has divided her tips for helping your life become better into relatively short chapters. She backs up her suggestions to improve your life with excerpts and summaries of actual stories from many earlier Chicken Soup books. These are real stories by real people that we can all relate to.

It's not necessary to read the book in two or three sittings. You can easily read 2-3 chapters in the evening before bed or with that first cup of coffee early in the morning before anyone else is awake. Once started, however, I think you'll want to keep on reading.

The author's style is friendly and personal. You'll feel as though you and she are having a cup of coffee and chatting about life. Her sense of humor comes through, as well.

As I read Amy Newmark's book, I thought of the well-known self-help book that has sold 5 million copies since 1952 of long ago--The Power of Positive Thinking by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale. I've often thought of his title through the years, having learned that there is power in positive thinking. This new Chicken Soup for the Soul book titled Simply Happy will stay with me, too, for don't we all strive for happiness in our lives?  This book can help you achieve that goal with easy changes in your attitude and the way you live your life now if you heed her advice and wisdom, as the subtitle says.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...