Thursday, August 27, 2015

Do You Have Favorite Books?




Looks like Snoopy is a big reader as well as a writer. I can relate to that double joy. I became a lover of books long before I started writing. Reading has served me well in my writing journey. I've read so many books and of many genres. 

I don't read sci-fi and I don't read horror novels. Neither one appeals to me. Give me historical fiction over sci-fi any day. And the horror stuff doesn't do much for me either. Add erotica to my forget it list, too. I don't mind a little sex in a book but don't need a blow by blow description from cover to cover. The movies in the 40's and 50's had scenes that ended with a smoldering kiss and the viewer was left to imagine the rest. It lent a bit of mystery to the romance. Not so today--bare it all. But I am getting away from my topic.

As the poster indicates, books feed our soul. They are the nutrition of the mind. They're the recipe for a good life. We are offered a variety of books and each of us leans to certain genres. We may have different tastes in genres but we have a common love of good books.

Do you have a list of your all-time favorite books? Most people do. Here are just a few of the ones that hold a cherished place in my memory bank. They are in no particular order. Find them at your local library or on Amazon.

1. The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher

2. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (first in a series)

3. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

4. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

5. A Time To Kill by John Grisham

6. A Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford

7.  Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

You'll see that I read fiction, much of it fiction aimed at women. I do read other kinds of books, too, but these seem to be the ones that I remember loving. Some, I've read a second time. 

Leave your own list in the comments box. We all like recommendations. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

No Fee, No Pay! Hmmm!

  H U H? I was skimming through a lengthy list of journals whose closing dates were looming. Many were published at universities, some were ...