Thursday, August 6, 2015

A Writing Exercise



Let's do a picture prompt writing exercise today. I love this picture. It raises all kinds of questions in my mind as I look at it. Things like:

1. Who is she?

2. Why is she barefoot?

3. Where is she?

4. What time of year is it?

5. What might the temperature be?

6. Why is she running?

7. What sounds come to mind when viewing the picture?

8, Where is she going?

9. Who is she meeting?

To do this exercise spend some time studying the picture. The longer you look, the more you'll see. Make a list of questions that come to you as you study the picture. Then begin to write. Let it be a paragraph or a whole story. Hopefully, once you write a beginning, you'll be able to go on and expand your story.

An exercise like this is a good one to develop your observation abilities. The longer you look at the picture, the more you'll see. It also sparks creativity.

When you finish, you may have the beginnings of a new writing project. Then again, you may have only the paragraphs you've written today. Either way is alright.

I once heard a writer turn up her nose at writing exercises like this one. I don't bother with exercises. I want to write something I can get published.

Have you ever heard of an opera singer who did not practice? Ever watched an award winning football player who skipped practices? Ever known a college basketball player who shunned practices? Ever heard of a trapeze artist who never practiced? Writers are no different. We need practice, too.


















2 comments:

  1. I love this picture prompt, Nancy. We all need a jump-start at times to get our creative juices flowing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it, too, Nancy. In fact, I adore this picture! Makes me think of Paris!

      Delete

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...