Thursday, September 20, 2012

Knowonder! Books--Digital and Print


I've written about the online magazine, Knowonder!, in earlier posts. Try Knowonder! in the search box at the top of this page to read any of the several listed. 

Today, I wanted to let you know about a new project the Knowonder! publisher has started. The online magazine ( www.knowonder.com ) offers a new story every day of the month. The stories are meant to be read aloud by parents or for older children to read on their own. The age range of the stories is 3-10. 

Phillip Chipping, publisher, published a digital book and offered an app for phones. Now, Volume 1 of what proposes to be a series of books has been published. This first volume offers 30 fun and original stories that were selected from the many Knowonder! stories published online. The book can be purchased at Amazon in either paperback or digital form. The price is a reasonable $4.95 or $2.99.

The two paperback copies I ordered arrived yesterday. One is for my writer's bookshelf after I read all the stories, and the other is as part of my granddaughter's birthday gift. Jordan will be 9 in a few weeks, just the right age for this book. I thought she would enjoy having a book that has a story in it written by her grandma. My story, "There's A Dragon in the Library," is one of the 30 selected for this first volume. 

I leafed through the book when it arrived and I was impressed with the format. Easy-to-read print, questions at the end of the story, stars to color in to rate the story, and sometimes a large, empty square for the child to draw a picture that correlates with the story. Combining reading and activities makes for pleasure and learning at the same time. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Nancy! May I ask if "The Magic Paintbrush" is included in the book? I should go back to writing again. I've only been focused on writing haiku and having them published.
    I've read a couple of your posts and I intend to visit your blog more often because I know it will inspire me to write again. You're amazing!
    Chrissi

    ReplyDelete

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...