Friday, February 10, 2012

Read A Good Short Story







Today, I'm featuring a writer, who is also my friend. Or is she my friend, who is also a writer? Either way, Lenore Skomal is a person I admire. She is a member of my online critique group (writersandcritters).

Earlier this week, a story of Lenore's was published at Fiction365. I hope you will read "Mother Dance" and take a look around this website for fiction writers afterward. They publish a new story every day of the year. I think Lenore's story will rank in the top ten of this year.

I say that because the story is filled with emotion, which is something I've talked about on this blog more than once. The author wrote from her heart, and the emotion comes through in a big way. As you read, notice that she doesn't tell the emotional parts. Instead, she shows the reader the emotion of what is happening. It's what all writers strive for but not everyone is able to achieve it. The other day, I asked you what a good book is. I can honestly say that "Mother Dance" is a good short story.

As you read, note the numbers at the bottom of the page. Click to turn to the next page. Note the submission guideline box on the right-hand side of the website. This is a paying market. Read a few more of the stories at Fiction365 to get a feel for what they like and then consider submitting to them.

My friend, Lenore, is an accomplished writer with 16 books to her credit. She is a columnist for the Erie Times News in Erie, PA where she lives with her husband. She was a professor of journalism.. Her daily blog, Gut Check, is listed in blogs I read on the right side of this blog page.

She's also one of the warmest, funniest, people I know as well as being a talented writer. And guess what? She loves shoes. Good writers are real people.

2 comments:

  1. And this blog posting coming from the heart too, Nancy. Enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Fi. I appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete

No Fee, No Pay! Hmmm!

  H U H? I was skimming through a lengthy list of journals whose closing dates were looming. Many were published at universities, some were ...