Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Bookful Of Advice In Eight Words

I was browsing through facebook early on the morning of my conference presentation last week when I ran across a quote someone had posted. It hit me right between the eyes. It was the perfect way to open my session on All About Anthologies. It was the perfect quote for a group of serious writers, and it would work for almost anyone anywhere. I wrote it on the top of my notes for the presentation. It deserves capital letters, so what's below is not shouting but to show its worth. Then again, maybe it is shoutig, for that's what I'd like to do with this one--shout it loud and clear.
'
DON'T LOOK BACK. THAT'S NOT WHERE YOU'RE GOING.

How very simple those words are but filled with both wisdom gained from experience and advice for the future.  When I used the quote as my opening, it was well received. Someone said, "I need to put that on a sign above my computer!" and several others echoed her response. I'm planning on having it tacked up somewhere in my office where I can see it every day. It will remind me to forget about whatever rejections I've had on submissions sent and to look forward to those yet to come. It will remind me to forget the struggles of learning a craft I love and allow me to move in one direction--straight ahead.

There are other old quotes that mean much of the same thing. Ones like Don't cry over spilled milk. and It's water over the dam. Maybe I like the one above because it's new, not the old cliches of these others, but whatever it is, I will keep it in mind as I continue in my writing world. I hope you will, too.

I did a search to try to find the author of the quote but had no success. Whoever he/she is deserves credit for a bookful of advice given in a mere eight words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...