Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Have You Heard About...?

Monday’s Guest Blogger, Harriet Cooper, is a member of the same critique group I belong to. writersandcritters is women’s only and international.


Our members come from the USA, Canada, Australia, and countries like Ireland, England, The Netherlands, Norway, and South Africa. All are English speaking and all have the common bond of honing writing skills on the path to publication.

We have a few rules regarding participation. Critiques given are fair and honest. No one likes to hear that something they’ve written needs a lot of work, but taken with the proper attitude, it can only help you grow as writer. The good is pointed out and places that need work are marked, too. And suggestions are given.

If you have any interest in the group, go to www.writersandcritters@yahoogroups.com and click on Join This Group. It obligates you to nothing. It is only a way to begin the application process. Joyce Finn, our moderator, will contact you and give you all the details. She’ll ask you to submit a writing sample and a short bio of your writing life.

Members will vote on acceptance, keeping two things in mind—A. will the group be a benefit to you and B. will you be a benefit to the group.

There are many online critique groups. Some are better than others, This one I can vouch for. I’ve been there a long time and credit its members for helping to get my work published.

One more thing I forgot to mention. We have a lot of fun while helping one another.

2 comments:

  1. As a member of that group I can attest to how much my writing has improved since joining. And yes, a critique that points out problems may not be what you want to hear, but it's the best way to improve your writing.

    Harriet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information. This sounds like an excellent way to hone writing skills.

    On another note. For some reason blogger isn't updating my sidebar when you post. ;(

    ReplyDelete

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...